J-1/National Interest Waivers

A waiver of the 2-year foreign residency requirement generally requires a commitment to work full-time in a Medically Underserved Area for at least three years. A request for a waiver of the 2-year foreign residency must be made through an interested government agency (IGA).

The following governmental agencies presently have established J-1 visa waiver programs: the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Delta Regional Authority, the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs, and the Appalachian Regional Commission. In addition, each state is permitted to grant up to thirty waivers annually to physicians who work or serve patients in its Underserved Areas under the Conrad-30 program. Some states also have J-1 Waiver programs for sub-specialists. Each state has an Agency or Contact that administers the program. Please note that each agency has different guidelines and application periods.


Disclaimer: The materials in Asonye & Associates web site have been prepared to permit visitors to our web site to learn more about the services we offer. These materials do not, and are not intended to, constitute legal advice. Neither transmission nor receipt of such materials will create an attorney-client relationship between the sender and receiver. Internet subscribers and online readers are advised not to take or refrain from taking any action based upon materials in this web site without consulting legal counsel. We do not undertake to update any materials in our Web Site to reflect subsequent legal or other developments.